Our Curriculum Intent:
We aim for children to be happy individuals who are independent, resilient and confident in themselves and with others.
Our Curriculum Goals:
The EYFS is based on four principles:
- A unique child-developing resilient, capable, confident and self-assured individual.
- Positive relationships -supporting the children in becoming strong and independent.
- Enabling environments-where opportunities and experiences respond to the individual needs of the child by developing a strong partnership between practitioners, parents/carers and the child.
- Learning and development -An acknowledgment that children learn in different ways and at different rates.
The EYFS curriculum is split into 7 areas of learning:
- Communication and language development
- Physical development
- Personal, Social and Emotional development
- Literacy development
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
We have high expectations for all our children and recognize that children have different starting points to their learning. The EYFS curriculum is planned around cohort needs and interests to motive, inspire and to promote cross-curricular, independent learning.
What we do at Greenholm
In the Early Years at Greenholm our children are excited and motivated to learn through rich and challenging learning experiences; opportunities to explore and take risks, and first-hand experiences.
We recognize and value parental contributions about their child’s development and our parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their children’s learning in school and are able to share learning experiences through home visits, story sessions, reading breakfasts, workshops and termly parents evening.
Phonics teaching and learning are a key part of the Foundation Stage and help to develop early reading and writing skills. Early reading skills are rehearsed through whole-class teaching, small intervention groups, child-initiated activities as well as small teacher focus groups.
The Early Years classrooms are organized to allow children to explore and learn securely and safely. There are areas where the children can be active, quiet and creative. Each classroom has defined learning areas, where children are able to find and locate equipment and resources independently.
Our indoor and outdoor learning environments facilitate child-initiated play and provide children with carefully planned opportunities that allow children to explore create and learn through stimulating, interactive and accessible resources.