Year 5 Autumn Term Newsletter September 2017
Year 5 Spring Term Newsletter
We hope you all have a lovely Christmas break and are excited to return to school for the Spring term in the new year.
Our Theme focus for the term will be ‘Africa’ and ‘Lifecycles’, which will be linked to all areas across the curriculum. Through these topics, children will be learning about the Geography of the world, specifically of Africa and its different cultures. We have planned for a tribal week at the end of the half-term, whereby children will be creating tribal masks, taking part in traditional tribal dance and creating ‘batik’ effect clothing. Children will not be dressing up for this and there will not be any trips this term, due to two trips happening during the Summer term (visiting the Space Centre and Year 5 camping on the field with activities)
PE and Forest Schools will continue to take place every Wednesday, so please make sure PE kits and wellies are in school at the start of every week.
Alongside this, we will be giving the children plenty of opportunities to consolidate and extend their learning in the core areas of reading, writing and numeracy, through a number of exciting activities.
- In literacy, we will be focusing on spellings and sentence structure, teaching the application of these through narrative African tales, with a view to writing their own tale by the end of the unit.
- In numeracy we will be moving on to working with statistics, measure and shape.
- In PE, we will be learning different skills and techniques used within dance and team sports.
- In science, our main focus this term will be Lifecycles of humans, plants and other animals.
- In guided reading we will be focusing on a variety of texts which will cover range and breadth to support the children in developing their reading skills, in particular their deduction and inference skills.
Children will have P.E on Wednesday, so will need their P.E kits in school ready for these sessions. At times, the timetable may need to change, so we ask children to ensure they have their PE kits in school at all times.
Homework will be handed out on Fridays and will need to be completed and handed in on the following Wednesday.
Spelling tests will take place on Wednesdays.
We look forward to seeing the children return next term and to your continued support in regards to your child’s learning in this equally important term.
Miss Gordon, Miss Lycett and Miss Gumbs
Year 5 teachers