Year 5 Newsletter
Year 5 Summer Term Newsletter
We hope that you have all had a lovely Easter break and are looking forward to the summer term.
Our Theme focus for the term will be ‘Greeks’ and ‘Space, which will be linked to all areas across the curriculum. Through these topics, children will be learning about the history of Greece and how it has affected the way that we live, which will link to the Greek constellations and learning about space.
For this term the children will be having a Greek day during the second half term, whereby they will be dressing up in Greek costumes, taking part in the first Olympics, food tasting, learning about the Trojan horse and constructing a model of the Parthenon. In order to support the space topic, the children will be asked to complete a 3D model or an information booklet about the solar, which they will be sharing with their peers. During the second half-term year 5 will have the opportunity to take part in a residential – they will camping on the field and take part in activities such as archery, rock climbing, zorbing, etc. This will be taking place on June 22nd.
- Year 5 will be given the opportunity to take part in a variety of art workshops that have been organized by the Hippodrome. We will be learning all about the history of opera and studying the story of ‘Les Miserables’. As part of these workshops, the children will be going to watch the opera on May 8th.
- There has also been a street dance workshop organized for the children for May 9th, which will allow them to showcase their talents and enjoy different forms of art.
PE will continue to take place every Tuesday, so please make sure the correct P.E. kit is in place every week.
Alongside this, we will be giving the children plenty of opportunities to consolidate and extend their learning in the core areas of reading, writing, and numeracy, through a number of exciting activities:
- In literacy, we will be creating diary entries based on journeys to space and persuasive advertisements for Greek adventure holidays, which will allow the children to consolidate everything they have learned in SPaG this year.
- In numeracy, we will be completing the curriculum by focusing on measurement. This will allow the second half-term to be used for consolidation purposes and will allow us to recap on the more difficult topics of the year.
- In science, our main focus will be Space and forces.
- In guided reading we will be focusing on a variety of texts including Greek plays, Greek Myths, the Percy Jackson novels and non-fiction texts based on Space.
Homework will be handed out on Fridays and will need to be completed and handed in on the following Wednesday.
Spelling tests will take place on Wednesdays.
We look forward to beginning the summer term and would like to thank you for your continued support in regards to your child’s learning.
Miss Cracolici, Miss Lycett and Miss O’Neill
Year 5 teachers