Year 5 Newsletter
Year 5 Summer Term Newsletter
We hope that you have all had a lovely Easter break and are looking forward to the summer term.
Our Theme focus for the term will be ‘Greeks’ and ‘Space, which will be linked to all areas across the curriculum. Through these topics, children will be learning about the history of Greece and how it has effected the way that we live, which will link to the Greek constellations and learning about space.
For this term the children will be having a Greek day on Thursday 19th April, whereby they will be dressing up in Greek costumes, taking part in the first Olympics, food tasting, learning about the Trojan horse and constructing a model of the Parthenon. In order to support the space topic the children will be visiting the Space Centre towards the end of the first term, which will allow them to visit the planetarium and take part in an Earth, moon and sun workshop. During the second half-term year 5 will have the opportunity to take part in residential – they will camping on the field and take part in activities such as archery, rock climbing, zorbing etc.
PE and Forest Schools will continue to take place every Wednesday, so please make sure PE kits and wellies are in school at the start of every week.
Alongside this, we will be giving the children plenty of opportunities to consolidate and extend their learning in the core areas of reading, writing and numeracy, through a number of exciting activities.
- In literacy we will be consolidating everything we have learnt this year, focusing particularly on grammar in SPaG and writing a range of genres based around the book, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief.
- In numeracy we will be completing the curriculum by focusing on measurement. This will allow the second half-term to be used for consolidation purposes and will allow us to recap on the more difficult topics of the year.
- In PE, we will be learning different skills and techniques used within
- In science our main focus will be Space and forces.
- In guided reading we will be focusing on a variety of texts including Greek plays, Percy Jackson novels and non-fiction texts based on Space.
Children will have P.E on Wednesday, so will need their P.E kits in school ready for these sessions. At times, the timetable may need to change, so we ask children to ensure they have their PE kits in school at all times.
Homework will be handed out on Fridays and will need to be completed and handed in on the following Wednesday.
Spelling tests will take place on Wednesdays.
We look forward to beginning the summer term and would like to thank you for your continued support in regards to your child’s learning.
Miss Cracolici, Miss Lycett and Miss Gumbs
Year 5 teachers