Year 6 Autumn Term Newsletter September 2017
The Year 6 team hope you all enjoy a relaxing break over the summer and are really looking forward to what the new term will bring in September. We trust your child is looking forward to a new school year that will bring many exciting opportunities and challenges.
Over the last couple of weeks the children have taken part in transition sessions where they have been able to find out who they will be working with in class, and which adults will be supporting them in different areas. Year 6 will be a big year for the children and we trust they will be ready and motivated to ensure they can enjoy and excel in their learning when they return in September.
• There will be some timetabling changes next year to free up more time for learning in the non-core subject areas. Greater lesson time will be allocated to learning different skills in subject areas such as geography, history and the creative areas through our focus on World War 2.
• In numeracy children will be working through the different curriculum areas and focus will be given to developing children’s reasoning skills alongside arithmetic. Over the summer, parents can support their children by practising times tables and other rapid recall facts such as division bonds.
• In literacy children will be supported to develop their understanding of the writing process through a number of different genres. They will also be working hard to understand and implement key writing skills in their own work to ensure they are writing at the appropriate level. In reading children will continue to build fluency and develop skills in line with the Y6 reading curriculum. Key learning in these core areas will then also be practised and rehearsed in theme sessions.
• In Science, children will be working through different areas of understanding and be covering such topics as plants and evolution.
• Children will have P.E on Wednesdays, so will need their P.E kits in school ready for these sessions. However, at times, the timetable may need to change so we ask children to ensure they have their PE kits in school at all times.
• Homework will be handed out on Thursdays and will need to be completed and handed in on the following Thursdays.
• Spelling tests will take place on Thursdays.
We are still confirming dates for additional trips or visits, however we can already advise you of the following:
• Blackwell Residential- we have provisionally booked this for 11th June- 13th June 2018. We will provide details in good time so payment can be spread easily over a longer time period.
• University Week- we will be holding the university week from the 3rd April to the 6th April 2018.
We will endeavour to keep you informed of any other trips in due course.
Should you have any questions or concerns across the year, please do not hesitate to speak to us. We look forward to a successful Year 6 for all!